Sunday, May 13, 2012

Movie Review: The Avengers!


 Joss Whedon has been an inspiring writer for decades and yet it wasn’t until a week ago that he came into the public lexicon. Being children of the 90’s, we grew up with Buffy the Vampire Slayer and have been fans ever since. I’ve read a lot of glowing reviews about the Avengers, but one thing continues to bother me: just because the general populace has remained largely oblivious to the multitude of great projects produced by Whedon does not mean the Avengers is him finally “making it”. He may now have the biggest blockbuster of all time, but it’s been a long time coming! Now that team Whedon has a few million new members, how about some homework to catch up on some past work? I recommend Buffy, Dollhouse, Firefly and Serenity, and Doctor Horrible’s Sing Along Blog as “infection vectors” to the Whedonverse. Give them some of the love they deserve and you will not be disappointed!
Rant Conclusion: Whedon didn’t just finally get it right, people just finally started paying attention!

Okay, back to the review part of this review! Avengers, right.
America loves superheroes… especially flawed superheroes. Here we have a group of them so fantastically flawed and dysfunctional that they tumble in and out of hilarious internal conflict. How could these scrappy ruffians get their shit together long enough to save the world?! Oh ya, through genius, cunning, strength, and skill… and maybe some witty dialog and the loss of a loved one.
Can I just say that I have always wanted to know what would happen if Thor and Iron Man went mano a mano? I pretty sure I was vibrating in my seat with the occasional “EEEEE” of excitement as that scene in the woods unfolded, a behavior my husband was less than thrilled about in a crowded theater….
And then I laughed so hard I cried when the Hulk did that thing to Loki… you know what I’m talking about. Oh geez. Also, I was expecting Black Widow to be largely ignored because, let's face it, she’s competing for face time with Stark, the Captain, and a freakin’ demi-god. But not only did Scar-Jo (ugh, I hate that I just used that abbreviation but I’m too lazy to google how to spell her last name…) hold her own with the boys, she actually manages to be pretty funny when, let’s call it “guiding”, that flying bad guy via knives to the back. The film was surprisingly balanced and almost completely without that ADHD feel that so many other movies tend to get when having so many lead characters.

Great writing, great humor, great timing (HULK). Overall, I’d give it a 9.89/10 nerdyfangirl points!

And ya, we went out for Shawarma after. If just adds to the experience.

Here’s my attempt to copy my sister at this Haiku stuff:

Avenging evil,
Silly Loki Smashed By Hulk
Save the World. Shawarma. 

Hopefully I'll have one of my DIY projects compiled by some time this week! 

-Samantha-

No comments:

Post a Comment